Saturday, September 8, 2007

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...of the DC metro


Right before I moved up to Philly, the DC metro seemed like the last transit system I'd want to keep using, as a series of small fires closed down stations two days in a row. For that matter, I had come to dread my commute to and from work in DC, because at least once a week there would be some sort of mess. But then...I came to Philadelphia.

Philadelphia's public transit system, SEPTA, is the fifth largest in the country, but it's woefully inadequate and unreliable. There are blogs devoted to SEPTA's awfulness--riders can relate bad experiences at SEPTA Watch or print out signs from SeptaMadeBetter to post at transit stops because there are barely any official ones. It seems that the main problem is lack of funding, but I also get the sense that it's just poorly run. And don't get me started on PATCO, which I take to get out to New Jersey occasionally.

Granted, the bus I need to get to campus comes often enough, but then I have the joy of paying for my ten minute ride with a $1.30 token. Seriously, your choices are a monthly pass, paying $2 in exact change, or tokens. Finding a place to buy said tokens, then having to pay in cash and getting your change in dimes, is also lots of fun.

Oh, DC metro, how I miss you!

No comments: