Monday, September 1, 2008

Drive-in Delights

When I came across a blog post recently that featured Weber's Famous Root Beer in Pennsauken, New Jersey, I knew it was a place I had to check out. It's a drive-in that serves burgers, milkshakes, and most importantly, root beer floats. Since it's close to where my grandparents live, the three of us stopped there on a sunny afternoon for my very first drive-in experience.

This was not the first time my grandparents had been to a drive-in, so they had an easier time handling their floats than I did. While I love the concept, it is a bit challenging to eat a float filled to the brim while sitting in the car. Drive-ins were really popular in the 1950s and 1960s--A&W Root Beer had over 2,000 of them by the 1960s--so I'm guessing that with experience, you must get more adept at in-car float-eating. Hopefully I'll be working on that skill again in the near future.

No comments: